If you or a loved one has been accused of domestic assault, the consequences of those charges can change your life. Punishment for such a crime can result in incarceration, fines, court-ordered counseling, probation, full restitution to the victim, a permanent criminal record, and loss of the right to possess firearms permanently. It is important that you obtain attorneys that can defend you in a court of law against these charges, but who are also aware of the strong emotions tied to serious criminal charges and domestic violence cases.
If you have been charged with domestic assault in Johnson City, Kingsport, Greeneville, or the surrounding Tri-Cities area in Tennessee, the criminal defense team at the Cave Law Firm will work with you to create a thorough defense to those charges. The criminal defense attorneys at the Cave Law Firm will ensure that your side of the story is heard and will help to protect your rights. The Cave Law Firm believes that every person is entitled to a full defense in the Tri-Cities and surrounding East Tennessee area.
Domestic Assault Defined
The Tennessee Code Annotated defines “Domestic Assault” in section 39-13-111. Assault is defined in T.C.A. section 39-13-101, but if the victim falls under certain categories, the state can charge you with domestic assault, which carries the possibility of additional consequences.
You can be charged with domestic assault if the victim is categorized as the following:
- Adults or minors who are current or former spouses;
- Adults or minors who live together or who have lived together;
- Adults or minors who are dating or who have dated or who have or had a sexual relationship, but does not include fraternization between two (2) individuals in a business or social context;
- Adults or minors related by blood or adoption;
- Adults or minors who are related or were formerly related by marriage; or
- Adult or minor children of a person in a relationship that is described in subdivisions (a)(1)-(5).
Know Your Rights
Call the Cave Law Firm today at (855) 228-3529 for a free consultation to discuss the various defenses available to you. Know and protect your rights in the East Tennessee court system with knowledgeable and experienced attorneys who have served East Tennessee since 1974. We will help build your criminal defense against domestic assault, but you must contact us as soon as possible. You can also submit an inquiry about our legal defense services online through our Contact Us page.